If you can LAUGH at it,

You can LIVE with it!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

For Good

I absolutely love the musical Wicked. I have wanted to see it on for the last two years, but I haven't made it there yet. This morning while I was getting ready for work (Very Late I might add) one of the songs came on my Ipod. I decided that I was going to look and see if I could find any reasonable priced tickets to the show. Tonight I logged onto KSL - the cheapest tickets that would work for my over-booked schedule were $200 a piece!!! So I freaked out a little bit, and went to the wicked web sight to see if there was another place close that I could catch the show at. Of course it is showing in Tempe in July (tickets go on sale 4/1/09), but my July is already completely packed with a trip already to AZ, but I don't think I could make it work and even if I could that means I would have to fly instead of drive - the plane ticket would be over $200. (Six in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other).

Anyway....

I was really frustrated thinking I am going to miss it again this tour. I was checking out the Wicked the musical web sight and looked at some of the video's which really got me exited to see it. I am not sure how I made it there, but I got to a page that had a video of the composer Stephen Schwartz discussing the theme song - For Good. http://www.wickedday.com/videos-SS-pt4-web.html

When writing the song Stephen asked his daughter what she would say to her life long friend if she knew she was never going to see her again. The first verse was her response.

For Good has been a special song in my heart. Watching this video made me think of all of the the special people who have changed my life for good. There have been people who have quoted it to me, and times that I have used it to say goodbye to people and used it. I am sitting here crying just thinking about all of you wonderful people.

I love the words of the song:

(Glinda):
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

(Glinda):
Because I knew you

(Both):
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

(Glinda):
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

(Both):
And none of it seems to matter anymore

(Glinda):
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood

(Elphaba):
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood

(Both):
Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better

(Glinda):
And because I knew you...

(Elphaba):
Because I knew you...

(Both):
Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...


I know that I have been so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life. Some have stayed for only a short time, and some of you are there for forever. My thanks goes to all of you tonight, thank you for leaving your handprints on my heart. I know that I am not the easist person to deal with sometimes, but because I know you... I have been changed for good.


A little background on this post:

First - I am not sure if it is the long hours at work lately, the changes that I know that are shortly coming (YW) or whatever else it could possibly be, but I have felt a little emotional lately.

Second - My friends at work call me a walking gieco commercial. They laugh because there is usually a song that I can sing that relates to our conversation. Call me crazy, but that is me.

4 comments:

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

That is one of my faves also...it always makes me a little weepy...please tell me you have seen the youtube video of Kristin Chenoweth's last night playing Glindam, singing this song, it will 'do you in'...

Your the best Becca, and I know your YW, coworkers, & FRIENDS are counting their blessings for having you in their lives!

Holly said...

You are the cutest ever. Are you being released from YW? Is everything okay? I am sorry that we are not closer so that we can get a coke or something. We love you...and we miss you. Robbie took 2nd only to a car that they didn't use all BSA parts.

Devin and Melinda said...

Thanks Becca, I am feeling a lot better. It turned out I had an infection causing my backache, pressure, etc. so now it's all under control.
I don't know if Devin is going to sell this summer. Camron sure has been working on him. I think most of them plan to leave in May...which won't work for us, but we'll see what happens.

Todd,Shara & Mykah said...

I have never seen/heard any songs form wicked.. But I LOVED that song. You are an amazing person with so much strength. If you ever need anything you can always shoot me an email! Love ya