If you can LAUGH at it,

You can LIVE with it!

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Today was a fairy tale...

actually this week has been a fairy tale. Maybe not the kind that you read about it all of the books, not the one you watch on TV, not the one you will tell to your daughters as a bedtime story but the story of an ordinary girl. There was no prince on a white horse ( darn it ). There was however a wicked queen and some very naughty goons, but there presence in the story is only one of anger and disgust.  Sometimes the girl in our story lets these naughty goons and many others make her feel like she is small, worthless, and insignificant.


Over the years I have been exposed to many beautiful languages—each of them is fascinating and remarkable; each has its particular charm. But as different as these languages can be, they often have things in common. For example, in most languages there exists a phrase as magical and full of promise as perhaps any in the world. That phrase is “Once upon a time.”



Aren’t those wonderful words to begin a story? “Once upon a time” promises something: a story of adventure and romance, a story of princesses and princes. It may include tales of courage, hope, and everlasting love. In many of these stories, nice overcomes mean and good overcomes evil. But perhaps most of all, I love it when we turn to the last page and our eyes reach the final lines and we see the enchanting words “And they lived happily ever after.”

Isn’t that what we all desire: to be the heroes and heroines of our own stories; to triumph over adversity; to experience life in all its beauty; and, in the end, to live happily ever after?

Today I want to draw your attention to something very significant, very extraordinary. On the first page of your Young Women Personal Progress book, you will find these words: “You are a beloved daughter of Heavenly Father, prepared to come to the earth at this particular time for a sacred and glorious purpose."

While this week has been chalk full of challenges and moments when I wanted to scream, cry, and go back to bed this week has also been full of a lot of good.  I was able to hear encouraging words that made me want to look for the positive, and while I wasn't perfect at it (especially after being at work until 10:30), it is something I want to keep working on.  I was able to attend a fabulous fireside where President Uchtdorf spoke to us about our fairy tales (Italics sections).  Friday night I was blessed to go to the MTC devotional where I got to spend a little time with my sweet Hermana.  I am so exited for her to serve in Chili.  She has grown so much, in leaps and bounds and is ready to share the gospel.  Friday I was able to attend a beautiful temple session with some dear friends.  Probably the icing on the cake came today as I once again was able to spend some time with President and Sister Monson at the MTC.  This is my 3rd year doing this, and I always feel so honored and blessed. The things I remember from Pres. Monson's talk was that even when we think we can't do things, if we will make the Lord our constant companion we will accomplish.  But the fairy tale.... Yes the fairy tale came this afternoon when the girl of our story realized that She is not alone in this life, and that every trial and challenge, victory and success are just helping her to create her "happily ever after".



Sisters, those words are true! They are not made up in a fairy tale! Isn’t it remarkable to know that our eternal Heavenly Father knows you, hears you, watches over you, and loves you with an infinite love? In fact, His love for you is so great that He has granted you this earthly life as a precious gift of “once upon a time,” complete with your own true story of adventure, trial, and opportunities for greatness, nobility, courage, and love. And, most glorious of all, He offers you a gift beyond price and comprehension. Heavenly Father offers to you the greatest gift of all—eternal life—and the opportunity and infinite blessing of your own “happily ever after.”

Today, I am filled with hope, knowing that even when things don't turn out the way I think they should, or the goons and goblins come and try to tear me apart that someone else sees a bigger picture.  He knows who I will become, and thankfully He is patient enough to help me get there.  

 ...And the day will come when you turn the final pages of your own glorious story; there you will read and experience the fulfillment of those blessed and wonderful words: “And they lived happily ever after. 
Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Photobucket

3 comments:

Holly said...

You are truly amazing! I love you so very much and miss you a ton. I hope things are going good for you. Hope to see you soon.

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

Becca, I love you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. It was so good to see you last week. I wish we could have stayed longer!

bec said...

I stumbled upon your blog - not by accident, I believe - and have to say THANK YOU for sharing this beautiful post & your faith & testimony! This was absolutely an answer to prayer in my life right now, and I want you to know that you have made a difference in my life and in the world, just by being you! Hooray for fairy tales, prophets, apostles, wisdom, truth, and light!