If you can LAUGH at it,

You can LIVE with it!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Race


A year ago on the 15th I ran in the Top of Utah Marathon. After a little over 500 miles of training, I was as ready as I was ever going to get. I think the training was much harder than the actual marathon. I learned to run among the pain of a bad ankle, soar feet from blisters, and losing toenails. (I lost 5 by the time I was done). Since I had never been a runner this was a whole new experience for me, one that taught me a lot in many different ways. Even though my Marathon was hard, it definitely has not been the hardest thing in my life. One of the most important lessons that I learned is that I am not alone in this life. We all have hard struggles in life. Some have lost jobs, homes, children, spouses, dreams. At mile 13, or in our darkest hour when we fill like giving up I learned that if we call out to our Heavenly Father he will bless us with the ability to keep going, and send people to run along with us. I know that our Father in Heaven knows us each individually and he loves us. He knows we can succeed, and he is waiting for us to cross the finish line of life. I am so thankful for the lessons that I learned from this. Thanks to all of you who helped me not only with my marathon, but with the challenges of life that we all face. If there is anything I can for you please let me know.
~

(I know this isn't a good picture, but I had just ran 26.2 miles, and the guy in front of me fell and turned his face into hamburger)


Last Year the Young Women Presidency asked me to speak at Young Women in Excellence about the running my marathon. Their theme was Life is Like a Marathon. My sister Heather wrote the following poem for my talk.
~
The Race
One last run, one last mile, I race tomorrow, one last smile one more joke with my brother & friend until I see him again at the end.
Lining up at the starting line, my goal is not to make the best time but to finish the race as I started it. Spectators line up to cheer me away. See you at the finish Father and Brother say.
The starting gun, off like a shot in a strange course that I forgot. Stumbling on until checkpoint 1, my guide sends me on with directions to run. Continuing on I stumble and fall- get up cries my Brother and Lengthen your stride. Limping along I regain my speed and pause to help others in their times of need. I must stay on course I can’t deviate. To stray from the path might make me to late for the chance to triumph and win. To be with my loved ones once again; careworn, weary I must stop to rest I have to give in to the feeling deep in my breast. I am not good enough, I should not have tried I will never complete this race I cry.
My spirits are low, I weep in despair. Then I look to my side and in answer to prayer. There is my Brother, my hero and friend, running beside me till I reach the end. Cheering me on, though his race is through; he is trying so hard with all he can do to help me complete the course he has run. He knows my trials, he will help me o’ercome he will help me complete the race I’ve begun. He will run alongside, I just have to ask. Then as I cross the line and finish my task He will be waiting in Glory and Father and Son will embrace me with joy and proclaim job well done.

4 comments:

the cates said...

Oh my gosh! Thats about all i can say. A MARATHON! Becca are you CRAZY? Wow, that is pretty awesome that you can do that, just the word makes me tired! Congrats though!

Devin and Melinda said...

Way to go Becca!

Holly said...

hey cute girl I sure do miss you. You are such an amazing person and I will be eternally greatful for our friendship. I really wish that you would take us up on our offer.(so would the boys) I love your blog, all I can say is We love you and I am here for you whenever you need me. I will try to be better at listening to the little small voice that tells me to call. Take care and hang in there. Love ya tons. I love the poem. Boys say HI!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

Incredible! you ran a marathon? and lived to speak about it? I'm so inspired right now...(to go cheer people on, not to actually run it...)

That poem is awesome! I bet it added to your talk so much!!