If you can LAUGH at it,

You can LIVE with it!

Friday, January 20, 2012

Do you have birthdays in Heaven?


I have really been struggling this week knowing this week would bring a day that I used to celebrate, a day I used to enjoy calling my Dad to call him an "old fart".  I struggled with the fact that since He isn't here He can't turn 66 because do they really have Birthday's heaven.  But I have been humbled, comforted and blessed with many camouflage moments to help me.  So today instead of mourning what I can't celebrate because Dad isn't here I am choosing to celebrate and remember that He was here, and that there is still a part of Him that still is.  So Happy Birthday Dad.  Thanks for what you taught me. For what you showed me. For what you gave me. For continuing to help me. 

Here is a poem that my sister Heather wrote for my Dad's funeral. I thought it was appropriate today.  

The Lord must have needed a carpenter,
A man to work with wood
To mold the mansions and carve the mountains with all the detail he could.

God must have needed a mechanic to help to fix things to stay
A man that could help things continue on no matter what time of day.

Father must have needed a teacher to help men learn & grow
To become the people they are supposed to be & to learn what they should know.

God must have needed a small smile
A soul so sweet & kind
That he found a man with a heart so big that no enemies would be left behind,
A man who knows and loves him and who can help others through.

God must have needed a hero and that’s why he took you.
by Heather Penrod


Looking forward to the day we are together again.  


Photobucket

1 comments:

mad white woman said...

Your dad left such a great legacy. I love your family. Whether or not they have birthdays in Heaven, I don't know, but certainly everyone here is celebrating the birth of that man!